The aims and objectives of the Foundation have been defined as follows:-
1. To organize lectures, symposia, seminars and publish periodicals, books, journals and magazines relating to the objectives of the Foundation.
2. To conduct research on science, technology and development studies supported by National and international funding agencies.
3. To promote scientific and technological exchange of information, experience and advanced training between India and other countries, especially developing countries.
4. To promote any other activity incidental to the above objectives (but not involving the carrying on of any activity for profit) as the Governing Council may from time to time determine.
5. To give awards, scholarships, fellowships and grants to individuals/teams of scientists, technologists and organizations in regard to specific projects with a view to promote scientific, industrial, economic and social research.