Zaheer Science Foundation is a non-profit organisation, that was established in 1970 as a think tank. The Foundation was registered as a society under the Societies Registration Act of 1860. Inspiration for starting the Foundation came from the perception that there was a great need of interaction between science and the society, and the Foundation could greatly help in creating a clear understanding to connect Scientific and Technological developments for societal needs and promoting scientific temperament at large. The Foundation has been actively involved in promotion of scientific research and bringing awareness about Science & Technology Innovations. It has also been working in the area of S&T Policy analysis, Science for Small Nations and South-South Cooperation through organizing seminars and conferences at National and International level in last few years, helping in disseminating the scientific knowledge and promoting scientific temperament for nation building.
The Foundation is named after (Late) Dr. S. Husain Zaheer, who had played a great role in the Indian Freedom struggle. Appointed as Director General of CSIR (1961-66), Dr. Zaheer had a long association with the science system in the country in various capacities and contributed substantially and significantly to the growth of scientific and industrial research in India. He is remembered by the scientific community for five-year performance assessment scheme (flexible complementing scheme) to provide incentive to scientists for creative activities, and abolition of hierarchy among scientists.
The initiative of naming the Foundation as Zaheer Science Foundation and the honour of being its first Chairman belonged to the Dr. A. Ramaswamy Mudaliar who was also the Founder President of the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research. Thereafter, the following eminent scholars served as Chairmen of Zaheer Science Foundation:
Dr. S. Husain Zaheer Dr. A. R. Kidwai
Prof. Nurul Hasan Dr. G. Thyagarajan
Shri P.N. Haksar Dr. M. U. Khan
Prof. R.C. Mehrotra Prof. Harsh Gupta
The Foundation was registered as a Society under the Societies’ Registration Act of 1860.